[Coral-List] Aquarium reef maintenance

Hoestenbach, Roger, Jr r-hoestenbach at neo.tamu.edu
Fri May 7 12:32:40 EDT 2004

I am new to this list and apologize in advance for this intrusion of an
aquarium question, but I need some expertise in coral physiology and
biochemistry. Would "calcium ions, hydrogencarbonate, and trace minerals",
when used as aquarium additives, be considered nutrientsfor either the coral
or their symbiotic algae? Are the minerals only extracted/precipitated for
use by the corals or is the a biochemical metabolic process involved that
could cause these additives to be considered nutrients? I am trying to
determine the status of commercially available additives in order to fairly
apply reqirements under feed/food statutes regulating pet products in the
USA. Thank you for any assistance and if this forum is inappropriate, a
little help redirecting my inquirry would be appreciated,
rogerh

Roger D. Hoestenbach, Jr, Head
Feed and Fertilizer Control Service, Office of the Texas State Chemist
Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Texas A & M University System
PHONE:  (979)845-1121 EXT 110  FAX:  (979)845-1389
E-MAIL:  r-hoestenbach at tamu.edu
OPINIONS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN! ;)
"Somos pocos, pero estamos locos,..." Texas Jack Carmine