[Coral-List] Pavona spp. Mesenterial filaments query

Tim Lee tlee at fcdarwin.org.ec
Wed May 19 15:45:50 EDT 2004

Dear all,

My Name is Tim Lee and I am currently working at the Charles Darwin Research
Centre in the Galapagos Islands. As per the title my query relates to the
production of mesenterial filaments by Pavona spp corals.
We have observed on two occasions (5th and 11th May this year) several
colonies with extended mesenterial filaments, the filaments are not produced
uniformly across the colonies but appear in isolated patches. On the days in
question the observations were made on a rising or high tide, one day after
the full moon and at half moon respectively. The study site is subject to
high levels of suspended particulate matter (we are currently setting up
sediment traps in order to determine sedimentation rates).
I believe that these filaments can be produced due to a number of factors;
reproduction, stress, interspecific competition. We are trying to determine
the exact reason for their production in the corals at this site, digital
pictures are available.
As such, any advice or useful references would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Lee.