[Coral-List] monitoring research projects

charlotte matthews lottieis at btopenworld.com
Mon Nov 1 09:51:35 EST 2004

Dear All

I am an MSc student studying Environmental Monitoring, Modelling and Management
at Kings in London, UK and am looking for a dissertation project to start April/May
05.
My main interest is in coral reefs especially in response to climate effects
(bleaching), predator prey relationships and pollution on reef ecology as well
as recovery rates after such events. I am only in the early stages of research
so have not decided on a project title yet.
By March, I will have experience of GIS (both Arc View and Map Info), Remote
Sensing, Monitoring equipment, Modelling - Simile, PCRaster and VSS and am Adv.
Open Water/Sport Diver qualified. I also have experience of coral reef
surveying at a basic level.

What I am really looking for is the opportunity to get involved voluntarily with
a research group (I can fund myself) working on a reef, with who I can help
monitor and collect data, which in turn I can use for my project. Would this be
at all possible?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply

Kind regards

Lottie Matthews