[Coral-List] surface area software

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 4 10:05:09 EST 2004

Have you tried NIH image?  It's simple, multi-platform and works quite
well.

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/nih-image/Default.html

Cheers,
Mark

On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:18 PM, Dean Jacobson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am searching for a simple computer program that
> calculates surface area (as pixels) of irregular flat
> shapes (i.e. tabular coral colonies). I have already
> created a colony outline map, and plan to color-fill
> those colonies that are dead, alive, etc., on
> different Photoshop layers for easy analysis.
>
> I have already sent this query to selected
> researchers, but alas have not yet recieved any
> feedback.
>
> I am about to repeat the photographic reef mapping
> (over a 25x130m area) I did 12 months ago, in order to
> measure (in tabulate colonies, in cm2) coral growth
> vs. coral death via disease.  I will also calculate
> area affected by disease on a monthly basis, since I
> have weekly data.
>
> BTW, Last week I had the good fortune to swim with a
> whale shark during a reef survey dive on Majuro atoll.
>  Good thing I brought the camera!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dean Jacobson, Ph.D.
> College of the Marshall Islands

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Director of the World Data Center for Paleoclimatology

NOAA/National Climatic Data Center
325 Broadway E/CC23
Boulder, CO 80305-3328
Voice: 303-497-6172                  Fax: 303-497-6513
Internet: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/