[Coral-List] New Worldwide Coral Reef Landsat Archive Created

CORALations coralations at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 08:42:21 EST 2004

Dear Coral - List:

This quote appears on the below referenced home page for NASA.  I want to stress that it does not seem to be from Julie Robinson, although appears just before a quote from her about remote sensing.   Given the severity of reef degradation around the globe, I am hoping that this beautiful publicly funded web site from NASA could amend this one sentence so as not to indicate in any way shape or form that more data is needed in order to document that change is indeed occurring on our coral reefs.  I think that there is potential for the general public to misunderstand and would hate to see this perception generated from such a credible scientific source as NASA.

QUOTE:

 The current knowledge about the total area and locations of coral reefs worldwide is not adequate to see changes that occur in them. "Remote sensing of coral reefs has been a rapidly developing research area," said Julie A. Robinson, the scientist who managed the project for the Earth Observations Laboratory at the NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC), Houston, Texas.

Many thanks,

"ROBINSON, JULIE A. (JSC-SA15) (NASA)" <julie.a.robinson at nasa.gov> wrote:
We are pleased to announce the availability of a collection of 1,490 Landsat
7 scenes of coral reefs in an Internet-based library for the Millennium
Coral Reef Project. It was created in a partnership with NASA, international
agencies, universities and other organizations to provide natural resource
managers a comprehensive world data resource on coral reefs and adjacent
land areas.

To view the NASA press release, see
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/coralreef_image.html

For an overview of NASA's collaborations, projects and products on global
remote sensing of coral reefs, visit: http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Reefs/

To directly access the Millennium Coral Reefs Landsat archive, visit:
http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi/landsat.pl

For more information on the Institute for Marine Remote Sensing (IMaRS)
Millennium Coral Reef Mapping Project at the University of South Florida,
visit: http://imars.usf.edu/corals/index.html

Julie

Julie A. Robinson, Ph.D.
Program Science Representative