[Coral-List] Re: Meandrina meandrites Bleaching, Boynton Beach, FL

goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Sat Oct 2 17:52:45 EDT 2004

Dear Ed,

	Nice work!

	You are completely right  that Meandrina is a particularly
strong and predictable bleacher, but this is long known.  That is why
my parents used it to experimentally determine the physiological,
cellular, and biochemical  effects of bleaching on corals 50 years
go. Since those days we have noticed it to undergo regular seasonal
paling in warm seasons. This, like so much else,  has been ignored by
the current generation of reef  "scientists" who do not know or
respect the old knowledge. so that  they can "discover" it.

	For 15 years now we've been able to predict when, where, and
how bad bleaching will be in almost all cases worldwide  from
satellite data alone, before it can be seen in the field, using our
HotSpot method (Goreau, 1989, Goreau et al. 1991, Goreau & Hayes,
1994, and much more).

	The Southeast  Florida area had  a well developed HotSpot
this year, and Dan Clark noticed marked bleaching underway in Broward
County over  a month ago, coincident with your observations. This
HotSpot was completely dissipated by the reduced sunshine and strong
vertical mixing that accompanied the hurricane, so we are predicting
rapid recovery except for Palythoa, which will linger, as usual.

	Best wishes,

	Tom

--
Dr. Thomas J. Goreau