[Coral-List] Meandrina meandrites Bleaching, Boynton Beach, FL

Judith Lang/Lynton Land JandL at rivnet.net
Thu Oct 7 10:20:08 EDT 2004

Dear Coral-Listers,
During the first half of the 1990's, the major sources of mortality for
brown colonies of Porites astreoides at ~18 m on the North Perry Reef,
off  Lee Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas, were endolithic and
epibenthic sponges, but "unknown" was also pretty common (as described
by Shelley Anthony, myself, and Bassett Maguire, 1997, Proc. 8th Int.
Coral Reef Sym 2:1789-1794).  Unfortunately the huge bleaching event of
1998, and also, I suspect 1999, proved lethal to most of these
colonies, along with many other corals on this reef.

We shouldn't lose other opportunities as still exist elsewhere to
seasonally collect tissue samples of organisms that exhibit annual
bleaching for histopathological examination, as suggested by Esther
below.
Judy L.