[Coral-List] coral tissue separation

Yuval Geffen gefenyov at post.tau.ac.il
Sun Oct 17 10:27:05 EDT 2004

Hello listers
In order to work on coral proteins (secreted and intracellular) i'm trying to separate the coral tissue from intact bacteria and zooxanthellae (after initial water picking). I'm working mostly with Pocillopora damicornis and Stylophora pistillata. I guess i should use differential centrifugation and maybe combine it with membrane solubilization in order to 'release' proteins from the coral tissue without breaking the bacteria and algea cells.
Please write me if you have any suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Yuval Geffen
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Tel Aviv university, Israel
E.mail: gefenyov at post.tau.ac.il