[Coral-List] Yellow blotch syndrome outbreak

EWeil eweil at caribe.net
Fri Sep 24 10:42:52 EDT 2004

Dear Colleagues and friends,

We are experiencing an outbreak of yellow blotch syndrome (YBS) in shallow (4-12 m) reef habitats in many coastal fringing reefs in La Parguera, Puerto Rico. It started within the last month (after the spawning event in Septyember 5-6) and it is moving fast. It is affecting a high proportion of the large (very old) colonies of Montastraea faveolata, the main reef-building species in these reefs, and is producing extensive tissue loss at a much higher rate than previously reported for this syndrome. I am monitoring several colonies in several reefs and assessing the prevalence and impact of the epizootic event.

I would like to know if somebody has observed something similar in other Caribbean reefs.

Thanks!

EWeil

Ernesto Weil, Ph.D
Department of Marine Sciences