[Coral-List] Coral Recruit ID

Ian Lundgren ianlundgren at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 19:57:08 EDT 2004

Hiyya,

I'm just new to the list serve, I work for the National Park Service on
Guam. I'm hoping someone will be able to offer a guess as to the
identity of these possible coral recruit photos (found at link below).

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/wapa/ppdocuments/Spat%20ID.pdf

I have (along with solicited help at U of H) tentatively identified
the first 2 as an acroporid and a pocilloporid. The genera of the
acroporid perplexes me as I have gotten heavy recruitment during both
March-May and June-July on Guam at 20 meters depth on PVC settling
plates. Unfortunately I haven't got a good reference scale on the
photos, but the acroporid is approximately 2mm. Any opinion would be
much welcomed.

The next two photos have been suggested to be bryozoans, and I feel
that is probably correct. Again differing opinions are welcome and
solicited.

Lastly, I have 2 recruits that I feel could be Leptasrea purprea or
another Favid, but more likely also bryozoans.

Please contact me for further info at: ianlundgren at gmail.com

Have a great day!
ian