[Coral-List] "Protect Our Reefs" Grant Funding

David Vaughan dvaughan at mote.org
Mon Aug 1 09:18:38 EDT 2005

  NOTICE OF: Mote Marine Laboratory “Protect Our Reefs”

  License Plate Grant Funding Availability- Request For Proposal

* *

      GRANT TITLE/LINK

* *

Ø *Protect Our Reefs ** *

*http://www.mote.org/4reef*

* *

* *

        FUNDING SOURCE

* And LINK *

* *

* *

Ø *Mote Marine Laboratory – Protect Our Reefs- License Plate*

*http://www.mote.org/4reef*

* *

* *

*WHO CAN APPLY?*

* *

Eligible organizations shall be based in Florida and engaged in reef
research, education or conservation. Applicants must be a public agency,
educational institution or a non-profit

501( _c_ ) 3 entity as designated by the IRS. Reef program areas are:

Ø Research

Ø Education

Ø Conservation

* *

*PROGRAM DESIGN*

Ø Part of the proceeds from the “Protect Our Reefs” specialty license
plate will be available through grants, to support research, education
(and outreach) and conservation of the Florida Coral Reef Ecosystem.

* *

      HOW CAN THE GRANT MONEY BE USED?

* *

Ø Eligible organizations can utilize the funds to support projects
related to research, education (and outreach) and/or conservation of the
Florida Coral Reef Ecosystem. Priorities of science research, education
and conservation plans are similar to those outlined by the: Florida
Keys National Marine Sanctuary Science Plan, the NOAA-Coral Reef
Conservation Program, the Water Quality Protection Program, and the
National Undersea Research Program descriptions of coral reef research
priorities,and other existing public coral reef program priorities.

* *

      GRANT AMOUNT and Number of Awards

Ø Not specified. It is forecast that approximately $170,000 will be
available for this first year (2005) of funding and that higher amounts
are anticipated in future years.

Ø The program has no predetermined grant amount by category, geography
or type of project.

Ø All proposals will be reviewed by Grants Advisory Committee, who will
set priorities and make recommendations for awards to the President of
Mote Marine Laboratory.

* *

      MATCH/LEVERAGE

      REQUIREMENT

Ø None required, but matching funds and partnerships with existing
programs, such as, the Mote Tropical Research Laboratory; Florida Keys
National Marine Sanctuary; Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, or
other relevant organizations are encouraged.

* *

*APPLICATIONS AND *

*DUE DATES FOR FIRST YEAR REQUESTS*

* *

Ø Announcements, July 31, 2005.

Ø Proposals due September 15, 2005.

Ø Notifications by December 15, 2005.

Ø Grants Awarded January 2006.

*OTHER GRANT INFORMATION: On the website at; *

*_WWW.MOTE.ORG/4reef <http://www.mote.org/4reef> _*

Any questions about the program should be directed to Bruce Frerer,
Grants Advisory Committee. Bfrerer at Mote.org