[Coral-List] Partial bleaching in eastern Puerto Rico

Hernandez Edwin coral_giac at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 18:27:58 EDT 2005

Dear coral-listers:

Hola desde Puerto! This short notice is to inform you
of a minor bleaching event that is currently occurring
on eastern Puerto Rican coral reefs.

During a recent dive (August 19, 2005) at Palominitos
Island (6 km off northeastern PR) we documented
bleaching on the following species:

Montastraea annularis
Montastraea faveolata
Montastraea franksi
Siderastrea siderea
Siderastrea radians
Meandrina meandrites
Stephanocoenia intersepta
Leptoseris cucullata
Agaricia agaricites
Agaricia fragilis
Agaricia humilis
Porites astreoides
Porites porites
Porites furcata
Millepora complanata
Millepora alcicornis
Erythropodium caribbaeorum (encrusting gorgonian)

Bleaching was observed at depths ranging from 5 to 22
m. Most of the colonies were only partially bleached
(i.e., some moderate color loss, or patchy bleaching).
However, there were colonies that were totally
bleached. Most bleaching occurred on surfaces facing
sunlight.

During next week we'll return to that site to collect
data from our permanent transects and will have a
quantitative picture of the bleaching event.
Subsequently, other locations in PR will be visited
during the following weeks.

Temps. approx 29.5C.

Ragards,

Edwin