[Coral-List] just released

Ellen Prager eprager at rsmas.miami.edu
Sun Aug 28 13:03:23 EDT 2005

Just Published: New book for young readers that combines an exciting
ocean adventure with real marine science, particularly in coral reefs.
It's a captivating blend of fiction and non-fiction and a new way to
teach about the tropical ocean.

If you have a young reader at home or know one...here's a great way to
share your enthusiasm for coral reef science.
Here's what early readers have said:

"Captivating, very exciting, this book has given me a better sense of
the ocean and the creatures that live there.
I really enjoyed reading it!"
	Lindsay Culbert-Olds, 13 year-old

"Exciting plot, a heroine on a great adventure, descriptions of the
island will create vivid pictures in the reader's imagination...."
	Myra Hall, Third Grade Teacher

“It's a great adventure story! I found myself getting really drawn into
the story. I think middle schoolers will love it.”
	Tina O’Kane Bishop
	Academic Director, College of Exploration (www.coexploration.org)

“Dr. Prager’s artistry opens avenues of ocean exploration, which
remarkably both encourage youth to read for pleasure and find new
understanding and to learn.”
	Betsy A Stefany
	Masters of Children’s Literature Program, Hollins University

Designated An Editor’s Choice by Publisher

Synopsis
A family vacation aboard a rented sailboat turns into a horrible
nightmare when young Kelly Wickmer is swept off the boat in a raging
storm in the Bermuda Triangle. Alone in the wild sea, the timid young
girl must struggle for survival and fight her fears of the ocean and
its creatures, especially sharks. As darkness surrounds her, a nearby
wave explodes in shimmering light and a dolphin appears.

The dolphin brings Kelly to a mysterious tropical island, unlike
anything she has ever seen or heard about. Kids on the island befriend
her as they encounter stingrays, sea turtles, iguanas, giant tortoise,
the fish of a coral reef, and more. Yet, Kelly longs to go home. As she
searches for a way off the island and the dolphin that saved her, she
will have the adventure of a lifetime. If she survives, it will change
her life forever.

I've also committed to putting a portion of the profits from sales
toward marine education!

ISBN: 0-595-35791-1
Publication Date: August-2005
Publisher: iUniverse
Reading Level: Ages 8-12

Available at iUniverse.com, amazon.com, and soon at barnesandnoble.com,
and wherever fine books are sold.

My fingers are crossed that kids will be engaged, enjoy it and learn
about the ocean and coral reefs.  In the back of the book is a section
on some of the real ocean science incorporated into the story and a
list of websites to learn more.

Sincerely
Ellen Prager

Ellen Prager, PhD