[Coral-List] 1st Asia Pacific Coral Reef Symposium - Invitation and Call for Papers

Karenne Tun k.tun at cgiar.org
Fri Dec 2 01:31:11 EST 2005

Dear Coral Listers,

On behalf of the chair and the organising
committee, I am please to announce the
invitation and call for papers for the 1st
ASIA PACIFIC CORAL REEF SYMPOSIUM, to be held
at The Chinese University of Hong Kong from
June 18-24, 2006. The theme for the symposium
is “Coral Reefs: Cooperation and Collaboration
for Better Conservation”.

Full details and instructions for the
symposium can be found at the following
website:
http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/bio/APCRS/index.htm

We would be grateful if you could help us
spread the word and publicise the symposium
through your network.

We are looking forward to your full support
and participation in the symposium.

Regards,

Karenne Tun
WorldFish Center
International Organising Committee

INVITATION and CALL FOR PAPERS

Dear colleagues and friends,

The Indo-West Pacific is a region of global
significance. It houses >50% of the world’s
marine species. Coral reefs constitute one of
the most important marine ecosystems in this
region and are mainly distributed in some of
the most critical biodiversity hotspots. The
areas where coral reefs are found support a
human population of >500 millions. Many of
these people are under- privileged and depend
heavily on the coral reefs as a source of
their livelihood. Excessive exploitation of
the reef fisheries contributed to the
degradation of these reef systems. In other
areas, rapid economic development and the
associated pollution problems also contributed
to the destruction of the coral reefs.

There is an increasing recognition of these
threats to coral reefs and of the urgent need
to address them. However, there is a lack of
an effective forum, especially for coral reef
workers in the Asia Pacific region to share
their experiences and to learn from each
other. It is with this in mind that the First
Asia Pacific Coral Reef Symposium is being
organized with an aim to provide a forum for
scientists, educators, managers,
environmentalists and other local stakeholders
in the Asia Pacific region or working in this
region to share their knowledge and
experiences on all aspects of coral reef
biology, ecology, management, and conservation
strategies with the hope of finding a common
and unified voice in preserving this marine
natural heritage.

This symposium will be held at The Chinese
University of Hong Kong, from June 18 to 24,
2006. The theme of the meeting will be “Coral
Reefs: Cooperation and Collaboration for
Better Conservation”. As Chair of the Local
Organizing Committee and the International
Organizing Committee, it is my pleasure to
invite you to participate in the unfolding of
this exciting event. At least eight keynote
speakers have been invited to speak on their
major fields of research with a focus in the
Asia Pacific region. About 16 mini-symposia
are being organized, each representing an
important field of research in the region.
There will be contributed paper and poster
sessions where the latest findings in coral
reef researches could be presented. We
strongly encourage young scientists, reef
workers and students to attend and to present
their findings in this meeting. There will be
competition for best student papers as well as
for best poster.

This symposium will also serve as the founding
congress of the Asian Coral Reef Society. It
is expected that a greater cooperation and
more concrete programs for collaboration among
all the stakeholders in this region will be
formulated as a result of this Symposium. I
sincerely hope that you could be a partner in
the making of this history and be with us as
we march into a new era of challenges and
opportunities.

Yours truthfully,

Put O. Ang, Jr.
Chair, Local Organizing Committee
Chair, International Organizing Committee