[Coral-List] Rebar, & algae & paint; compiled responses

Michele & Karl michka at fellenius.net
Tue Dec 6 01:45:39 EST 2005

Coral Listers,

I read your responses with interest. I am not surprised by your anti-fouling
use this stuff. I can only strongly recommend for or against its use and I
wanted to compile your points of view. Be assured that its use will remain
on the experimental level.

The argument here is that toxics would not kill or inhibit coral growth
because the corals are on pieces of rock that are in turn attached to the
mesh. I am of the opinion that proximity, and not just contact, kills. So
would it be correct to say that copper sulphate anti-fouling paint used
either on both the mesh and the rebar, or even just the rebar, would likely
have a toxic or at least an inhibiting effect on the growth of coral?

Again, thanks for any responses.

Karl
__
Karl Fellenius
Reef Solutions Vanuatu

> Your message was forwarded to me.  Dissolved iron serves as a limiting
> nutrient in many tropical marine areas and tends to fuel cyanobacteria
> (blue-green algae) growth when the iron begins to dissolve (corrode). This
> is especially a problem on atolls and low coral islands where
> basalt/volcanic rock is absent in the photo zone and natural dissolved
> sources of iron in seawater are even lower.
>
> In fact if you have iron shipwrecks in your area, you will probably see
> many of the same types of cyanobacteria proliferating.
>
> The solution to your problem is simple, use high grade stainless steel
> designed for use in wet marine environments and don't use rebar!   I
> noticed in Okinawa Japan that some firms growing corals use brass pins to
> attach corals. Brass apparently doesn't corrode much either. A third
> alternative is to use plastic pins or stakes such as those used to tie down
> camping tents.
>
> I hope these comments are useful and understood.  If not get back to me for
> more clarification.
>
> Good luck!  Jim

> Jim Maragos, Ph.D. Coral Reef Biologist & Field Dive Officer
> Pacific/Remote Islands National Wildlife Refuge Complex
> U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
> 300 Ala Moana Blvd., Rm 5-231, Box 50167
> Honolulu, HI 96850 USA
__

--

--