[Coral-List] CoralWatch colour card Data from Caribbean bleach.

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Thu Dec 8 08:46:16 EST 2005

Good idea, we will add it.

The CoralWatch cards are indeed an excellent tool.  However, it is
important to know the normal coloration so that changes can be
evaluated.

Thanks,
Mark

On Dec 7, 2005, at 6:35 PM, Justin Marshall wrote:

>> RE
>>    1. Requesting Data on 2005 Caribbean Bleaching (Mark Eakin)

> the CoralWatch colour card coral bleach system (www.CoralWatch.org
> for details) had many requests for colour matching cards to monitor
> different areas. This should provide a quantitative and relatively
> uniform data set (depending on the exact method the colour card
> system was used in - transect, spot check etc) if we can get the
> data back from the participants. Judging from the requests it
> should be geographically spread out and hopefully provide some sort
> of temporal data also as well as species etc etc.
>
> In brief for listers not familiar with the system, this is a pre-
> calibrated 6-intensity scale (white to dark) in 4 colours that are
> close to most corals and usable when exact matches are not
> possible. It can and has been used in a number of different ways to
> monitor bleaching 'activity'. It gets you beyond "pale", "slightly
> bleached" and "probably not bleached" judgements which are both
> spatially and temporally inaccurate AND which vary with species.
>
> This may be useful as an extra data layer to go in / near your
> severity of bleaching column Mark?
>
> I'll use this general coral-list email both to ask you directly
> (Mark) if this data is useful to your needs and to remind the folks
> we sent colour cards to in the Caribbean to pass this data on -
> either directly to Mark as eg an addition to his spreadsheet or
> even within it as CoralWatchB1 or CoralWatchC4 in the severity
> column - and/or back to us at www.CoralWatch.org and we can collate
> the data for you and stick it in Mark's spreadsheet as well as our
> own data archive (open to all to view / mine).
>
> Cheers - Justin
>
> Prof Justin Marshall
> Vision Touch and Hearing Research Centre
> School of Biomedical Sciences
> University of Queensland
> St Lucia
> Brisbane
> Queensland 4072
> AUSTRALIA
>
> ph      -  +61 (0)7 33651397
> fax     - +61 (0)7 33654522
> mob     - 0423 024162 (Prawns in Space)
>
> www.vthrc.uq.edu.au/ecovis
> www.coralwatch.org

------------------------
C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5306
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136