[Coral-List] CITES exemption of coral cores?

Tomas tcamarena at mbrs.org.bz
Wed Dec 14 10:50:22 EST 2005

Jessica,

As you should know, any removal of samples from the country of Belize is
controlled by the Government of Belize with good reason.  If you intend to
do research of any kind which requires the removal of samples, you must
apply for a research permit, a petition which would be granted based on the
merit of the Research Proposal which you submit.  I suggest you contact the
Fisheries Department of the Government of Belize (species at btl.net).

Your concern here should not just be CITES restrictions but the sovereignty
of the resources of the country from which you intend to remove samples.
Any attempt to bypass the authorities on this is not looked upon favourably
and could greatly complicate your work in the country.  Also, the researcher
applying for the permit is required to repatriate scientific reports,
analyses, etc. which are produced based on work in the country.

Sincerely,
Dr. Tomás Camarena