[Coral-List] RE: CITES exemption of coral cores?

Donald Potts potts at biology.ucsc.edu
Wed Dec 14 17:49:29 EST 2005

Dear Jessica,

It's good that you are asking this question. The answer may be complex,
because interpretations of CITES requirements, and procedures for
compliance vary among countries, and may involve policy considerations
that may be largely unrelated to CITES or science per se, and may be
specific to particular countries or to particular kinds of material.

All CITES transfers require documentation in advance from both the country
of origin and the receiving country (in your case, Belize and the USA).

My understanding of the general US position is that if the organism was
alive at the time of collection, then it is covered by CITES, and you need
pre-approval and documentation from both countries.

If the organism was dead, then it can be interpreted as geological
material that doesn't require CITES documentation. But in my experience,
it is not clearcut how long something must be dead before it becomes
"mineral" (one question in some countries is whether there is recoverable
DNA). You need to know in advance that officials in both countries will
treat it as geological and not biological material. Personally, if my
coral material "looks" fresh, I always treat it as CITES until told by
authorities in the US as well as country of origin that neither requires
it.

Another complication with CITES is that import permits go to registered
institutions, not to individuals. To bring CITES material into the US, it
must be done through a CITES registered institution (I don't know if
Scripps or UCSD is approved).

Penalties for even small violations of CITES procedures can be harsh (for
both individual and institution). Hence my advice is that your advisor
should be exploring appropriate procedures with the SIO/UCSD Sponsored
Projects and especially, the Intellectual Property Rights Offices that now
exist on all University of California campuses. You want to be sure that
you are following up-to-date policies and practices for your institution,
as well as for CITES.

I also reinforce Tomas Camarena's remarks. It's more than a legal issue -
you need to be sensitive to the current thinking, attitudes, cultural
issues and policies within the host country, so that the agencies,
officials, and even local citizens feel comfortable and are supportive
of you and your work.

Regards

Don

 Donald C. Potts

 Professor of Biology
 Director - C.DELSI
   (Center for the Dynamics and Evolution of the Land-Sea Interface)

 Chair, US National Committee for DIVERSITAS

     & Institute of Marine Sciences
 A316 Earth & Marine Sciences Building          Office:(831) 459-4417
 University of California                       Lab:   (831) 459-5063
 Santa Cruz                                     Fax:   (831) 459-4882
 California  95064   U.S.A.             Email: potts at biology.ucsc.edu