[Coral-List] Re: NH4 conc. in aquarium water

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue Dec 27 11:28:47 EST 2005

FYI, 20 ppm when you divide by 14 (atomic weight of N) = 1.4 uM NH4+ which is high for oceanic waters unless there is on-going upwelling (usually of nitrate) but not  for coastal waters even without anthropogenic activities.  In a report by Atkinson et al for corals growing in the Waikiki Aquarium they had corals growing gang-busters at 5 uM nitate and ammonium (but high CO2 levels).  Nutrient levels on coral reefs around the world are quite variable (Szmant Estuaries, 2002; available of my web page).  Unless nutrient levels are quite high (10 to 20 uM = 140 to 280 ppm) there is little evidence that nutrients in the 1-5 uM range are harmful to coral physiology (I mean lots of species not just a single species).   This is controversial of course, but at the RSMAS, Univ of Miami we cultered a dozen species of corals for years in Biscayne Bay water with elevated nutrient levels and they did very well and reproduced.  We only had porblems when salinities dropped below 30 ppt (bad rainstorms) or temperatures dropped real low (<20 oC).  Most of the nutrient effects on corals and coral reefs occur at the ecosystem level when herbivory is decreased by overfishing and herbivore die-offs.

Season's Greetings

Alina Szmant

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta