[Coral-List] New book on glowing coral!

Vincent Pieribone vpieribo at jbpierce.org
Wed Dec 28 18:08:51 EST 2005

Dear Coral List:

David Gruber and myself would like to announce the January release of
our book, "Aglow in the Dark," (Harvard University Press) that
provides a popular science portrayal of discoveries from the marine
environment that are changing the face of science --and unlocking the
secrets of the brain. The book includes a thoughtful foreword by
Sylvia Nasar, author of "A Beautiful Mind" and places a spotlight on
coral reef science. "Aglow in the Dark" just became available on most
on-line bookstores.

Synopsis from Harvard Press
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/PIEAGL.html

In the early 1960s, in a small shack on the Washington coast, a
young, self-educated Japanese scientist performed an experiment to
determine what made a certain jellyfish glow. The substance he
discovered, green fluorescent protein, would revolutionize molecular
biology, transforming our study of everything from the AIDS virus to
the workings of the brain. Aglow in the Dark follows the path that
took this glowing compound from its inauspicious arrival on the
scientific scene to its present-day eminence as one of the most
groundbreaking discoveries of the twentieth century.

The story unfolds in far-flung places, from the coral reefs of the
Pacific Ocean, to the medical schools and marine stations of our
leading universities, to a cold war-era research laboratory in
Moscow. Traversing the globe and the decades, Aglow in the Dark
conveys the human fascination with bioluminescence, or "living
light," its little-known application in war, forensic science, and
molecular biology, and how it led to the finding of green fluorescent
protein. The book reveals a hidden world where light is manipulated
by animals and humans and put to remarkable uses--unlocking the
secrets of the human brain, conquering dreaded diseases, and perhaps
someday linking minds and machines. The authors deftly lead the
reader through a complex story at the interface of biology and
physics--and into the realm of wonder on the frontiers of scientific
endeavor.

To anyone in the NYC-area, we extend an invitation join us at the
release party:
7 pm,  Thurs, Jan 19, 2006
McNally Robinson Booksellers
52 Prince Street (between Lafayette and Mulberry)
New York City.
Wine & Cheese provided

Sincerely,
Vincent Pieribone