[Coral-List] Reports of Underwater Damage to Corals

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Fri Jan 7 13:51:51 EST 2005

Not sure if this is of any real help to folks, but Reef Ball Foundation has
gotten reports from Maldives of steel hulled vessels 20 meters deep that
were sunk as artificial reefs moving 300 meters, Reef Balls in 20 meters
depth (Pallet Ball Size) moving 10 meters and coral heads being tossed
around like dice.

Our stablility calculations in the area would suggest that currents at 20
meters must have exceeded 5 knots to be able to move an unanchored Reef
Ball.

We also got a report from Thialand of major damages to nearshore natural
reefs (Racha Island Area).

Cordially, "Restoring Our World's Oceanic Ecosystems"" Todd Barber Chairman
reefball at reefball.com Reef Ball Foundation, Inc. 6916 22nd Street West
Bradenton, FL 34207 http://www.artificialreefs.org (All Reef Ball Sites)
http://www.reefball.org (Reef Ball Foundation) http://www.reefball.com (Reef
Ball Services Division) http://www.reefbeach.com (Reef Balls for Erosion
Control) http://www.eternalreefs.com (Memorial Reef Balls) Office: Direct:
fax: mobile: 941-752-0169 941-752-0338 941-752-1033 941-720-7549