[Coral-List] How long can corals survive without theirsymbiotic zooxanthellae?

Julian Sprung julian at twolittlefishies.com
Sun Jan 9 15:32:36 EST 2005

I think it is important when answering this question, as Josh did, to point out the cause of the loss of zooxanthellae. Since high temp was the stimulus in the experiment with P. damicornis, and it is known that at elevated temp P. damicornis may die rapidly as a reult of a Vibrio infection, then the cause of death cannot specifically be blamed on lack of symbionts unless Vibrio had been ruled out.

I have seen bleached shaded colonies of P. damicornis in aquaria survive great lengths of time with few if any zoox's. The same is true for shaded portions of colonies that have zoox's in the upper illuminated branches, but that probably doesn't count.

My opinion on the question posed- while it may vary among species or genera, and there may well be exceptions, I believe that with sufficient food most corals can survive many months or indefinitely without symbionts. This can be demonstrated in temperature controlled flow through aquariums with no illumination and high food inputs (the water flushing removes waste and maintains water chemistry).

While I cannot comment on the effects on growth, the survival is the question posed.

Sincerely,

Julian