[Coral-List] fish bombing and tsunami effects

Dida didak at jps.net
Wed Jan 12 02:20:44 EST 2005

About 6 years ago when I was actively research diving in Palau Sipidan
(MY), and disturbed by the number of coral reef sites decimated by illegal
fish bombing, I asked around (many contacts made via this list) about the
rates of coral growth after such destruction. I head reports that healthy
coral reefs are in place after only 10 years. Considering the effects of
the tsunami, is a comparable rate of regrowth considered reasonable?

Also, does anyone on this list have current contact info for Arnaz Mehta?
Last I heard, she was a research diver in Sumatra (she was the person who
found the coelacanth in an Indonesian market place, thus leading to proof
of a wider distribution of the mysterious "dinosaur fish").

Dida Kutz