[Coral-List] Bleaching in Bocas del Toro

Alexandra Amat amata at si.edu
Tue Jul 5 12:51:38 EDT 2005

Dear all,

Just a quick note to let you know that the reefs around the Archipelago of Bocas del Toro (9°N, Caribbean side, Panama) are currently bleaching. All coral species seems to be affected, mostly in shallow waters, but also at depth up to 8m. It seems that water temperature has begun to drop down for now on.

I know it is difficult to answer such a question in general, but how long do we have to wait until we consider full recovery (photosynthesis + calcification) of the bleached corals, meaning when will we be able to consider them non stressed again? I would like to hear from anybody having had experience with recovery measurements on corals with different stages of bleaching.
Thanks a lot,

Alex

Alexandra AMAT
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Unit 948, APO AA 34002-948, USA
Bocas del Toro Research Station, Isla Colon, Bocas del Toro, Republica de Panama
amata at naos.si.edu