[Coral-List] Bleaching in Bocas del Toro

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 5 14:25:40 EDT 2005

Hi Alex,

This appears to be one of the most notable warm water episode for the
Caribbean side of Panama since we began taking Coral Reef Watch
measurements in 1997....even beyond what was seen in 1998 (when the high
SSTs were more a problem on the Pacific side of your country).

Yes, the SSTs appear to be on their way down, hopefully this means you
will not return to the high levels of June during the Sep/October time
frame when the sun moves overhead once again and back south.

Our DHW's = 6/7  (http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/index.html)

     http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data2/dhww.7.2.2005.gif

have been observed to "predict" some mortality associated with these
levels of stress...how much depends, in part, on other stressors that
may come into play during this critical time.  We look forward to your
future reports and hopefully more cheerful news....

Regards,
Al
NOAA's Coral Reef Watch

Alexandra Amat wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Just a quick note to let you know that the reefs around the Archipelago of Bocas del Toro (9°N, Caribbean side, Panama) are currently bleaching. All coral species seems to be affected, mostly in shallow waters, but also at depth up to 8m. It seems that water temperature has begun to drop down for now on.
>
>I know it is difficult to answer such a question in general, but how long do we have to wait until we consider full recovery (photosynthesis + calcification) of the bleached corals, meaning when will we be able to consider them non stressed again? I would like to hear from anybody having had experience with recovery measurements on corals with different stages of bleaching.
>Thanks a lot,
>
>Alex
>
>Alexandra AMAT
>Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Unit 948, APO AA 34002-948, USA
>Bocas del Toro Research Station, Isla Colon, Bocas del Toro, Republica de Panama
>amata at naos.si.edu

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong
Branch Chief, Marine Ecosystem and Climate Branch (MECB)
Coral Reef Watch Project Coordinator
Phys Scientist/Oceanographer
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/SOCD -- E/RA3  {formerly NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD}
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 601
  5200 Auth Road
  Camp Springs, MD 20746-4304
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov