[Coral-List] Bleaching in Bocas del Toro

Judith Lang/Lynton Land JandL at rivnet.net
Tue Jul 5 15:26:20 EDT 2005

Dear Alexandra,
1. Have you noticed the hot spot that's been over Bocas and the SW
Caribbean is dissipating?
	http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/climohot.html

2. Further north in the Caribbean, when bleaching occurs later in the
year and water temperatures decrease over the winter season, visible
signs of recovery are faster in shallower water than at depth.  See:
Lang, J.C., H.R. Lasker, E.H. Gladfelter, P. Hallock, W.C. Jaap, F.J.
Losada and R.G. Muller. 1992. Spatial and temporal variability during
periods of "recovery" after mass bleaching on western Atlantic coral
reefs. Amer. Soc. Zool. 32: 696 - 706.

Judy L