[Coral-List] Ocean Sciences Mtg: Benthic Environments I - Shallow-Water Habitats

Rusty Brainard Rusty.Brainard at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 19 17:49:43 EDT 2005

Dear colleagues,

Please note the session OS102 "Benthic Environments I: Shallow-Water
Habitats" for the upcoming 2006 Ocean Sciences Meeting, February 20-24,
in Hawaii.  A companion session "Benthic Environments II: Deep-Water
Habitats" is being covened by Chris Kelley and Gary Greene.  We
encourage you to submit abstracts until the deadline of 20 October
2005.  Details are accessible from http://www.agu.org/meetings/os06/.

Best wishes,
Rusty Brainard and Mark Monaco

OS102 " Benthic Environments I: Shallow-Water Habitats"

Shallow water benthic habitats are the foundation of coastal and insular
marine ecosystems. They are comprised of a complex array of
geomorphological and biological substrates that provide essential food
and shelter for the highest diversity of benthic-associated organisms in
the global ocean. In tropical areas, shallow water habitats include
coastal, atoll, and insular coral reef ecosystems, as well as sheltered
estuarine environments supporting productive mangrove and sea grass
ecosystems. Over the past several years, extensive efforts have been
undertaken to systematically develop benthic habitat maps and monitor
the health of coral reef ecosystems around the globe. This session
invites presentations of recent findings of both the geomorphology and
ecology of shallow water habitats in the tropics. Topics of interest
include, but are not limited to shallow-to-moderate depth (0 - ~200 m)
benthic habitat mapping and classification, multi-disciplinary ecosystem
monitoring, recent technological advances to map or monitor these
habitats and ecosystems, and the seamless integration of shallow and
deep water benthic habitat mapping products derived using fundamentally
different technologies, aerial imagery and multibeam sonar, respectively.

Conveners:
Russell E. Brainard
/NOAA Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center/
Coral Reef Ecosystem Division
1125B Ala Moana Blvd.
Honolulu, HI, USA  96814
(808)592-7011;  rusty.brainard at noaa.gov <mailto:rusty.brainard at noaa.gov>

Mark E. Monaco
/NOAA National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science/
Biogeography Program
National Ocean Service, Room 9306
1305 East-West Highway
Silver Spring, MD, USA  20910