[Coral-List] A request for coral samplers

John P Carlin j.p.carlin at reading.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 05:18:00 EDT 2005

Hello Coral Listers,

This is a request for assistance from anyone who works with corals and
zooxanthellae. I am looking for people who would be willing to collect coral
samples for me to carry out zooxanthellae clade and host analysis to look at
a number of genes for molecular phylotyping and genes involved with stress

My name is John Carlin and I am a Phd Student working at Reading University,
UK investigating the symbiotic relationship between corals and algae in reef
systems. I am using FTA cards (which contain chemicals that lyse cells,
denature proteins and physically entrap DNA) and a simple procedure to
transport coral samples at room temperature back to laboratory facilities
where molecular analysis can be carried out (Crabbe, 2003).

I would like to build up a large data set for samples and set up
collaborations around the world, to try and correlate zooxanthellae
clade-host associations in a number of different locations and under
different environmental conditions. Therefore as much information such as
sedimentation rates, SSTs, depth, salinity, PAR levels etc as possible would
be important for each sampling site.

If you feel that this is something that you would like to undertake/take
part in or have any questions regarding sampling protocols or collaboration
benefits, please email me - j.p.carlin at rdg.ac.uk and I will then email a
reply with more information and a coral sampling kit can be sent out to you.

Thank you for your time,

John Carlin
University of Reading
England
j.p.carlin at rdg.ac.uk

Crabbe, M. J. C. (2003) Journal of biochemical and biophysical methods, 57,
171-176.