[Coral-List] Ed, not Robert, Carpenter on iron limitation

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Jul 27 15:08:58 EDT 2005

Frank Muller-Karger has kindly reminded me that it was Ed Carpenter, not
Robert Carpenter, who showed iron limitation in the Caribbean Sea. The
original citation was:

Carpenter, E. J. & McCarthy, J. J. 1975. Nitrogen fixation and uptake of
combined nitrogenous nutrients by Oscillatoria (Trichodesmium) thiebautii in
the western Sargasson Sea. Limnol. Oceanogr. 20:389-400.

For more recent work, including corrections to nitrogen fixing rates with
iron additions, see:

Kustka, A; Sanudo-Wilhelmy, S; Carpenter, EJ; Capone, DG; Raven, JA. 2003. A
revised estimate of the iron use efficiency of nitrogen fixation, with
special reference to the marine cyanobacterium Trichodesmium spp.
(Cyanophyta). Journal of Phycology [J. Phycol.]. Vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 12-25.

Cheers!

John

____________________________________

*** Please note new phone numbers (361 now 421) ***

John W. McManus, PhD.

Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries

Director, National Center for Caribbean Coral Reef Research (NCORE)

Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science

4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL, 33149

305-421-4814, 305-421-4820,       Fax: 305-421-4910

www.ncoremiami.org

jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu

"If I cannot build it, I do not understand it." -- Richard P. Feynman, Nobel
Laureate