[Coral-List] Re: Marine Acoustics Session - Ocean Sciences 2006 (Hawaii)...

Stephen Simpson s.simpson at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 29 06:07:47 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I am pleased to announce that we have had approved a special session at the
Ocean Sciences Meeting in Hawaii next February on Marine Acoustics.  This
conference has a fantastically broad scope, and we hope to reflect that in
our session by attracting speakers from many different disciplines (see
attached advert).  The common theme is Marine Acoustics, a subject that is
increasingly capturing the World's and the scientific community's attention.

There are many ways in which the coral reef environment and marine acoustics
connect, including:

*	Our increasing understanding of the importance of reef noise for
fish (and invertebrate?) navigation and orientation

*	Shipping, drilling, mining, tourist and dive boats, dynamite fishing
and seismic testing all impacting on the natural reef 'soundscape'

*	Researchers now using reef noises to detect, assess, classify and
monitor reefs, particularly in deep or turbid waters

*	Navy and marine navigators needing to filter out reef noise to
enable detection of other sounds

I would be very grateful if you could pass this information on to anyone
else who you think would be interested.

I believe the submission of abstracts will soon be active at the conference
website: http://www.agu.org/meetings/os06/

Yours,

Steve Simpson

PS: Apologies for cross-posting.

Dr Stephen D. Simpson
Tropical Fish Ecologist, University of Edinburgh

Ashworth 2, Kings Buildings, EH9 3JT, UK

<http://by103fd.bay103.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=321FC853
-B7B1-4A19-87AF-62E5961176C2&start=0&len=7872&src=&type=x&to=s.simpson at ed.ac
.uk&cc=&bcc=&subject=&body=&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000003&a=e
8e792c690e5f8d55a91d86ff4516610> s.simpson at ed.ac.uk,
<http://by103fd.bay103.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=321FC853
-B7B1-4A19-87AF-62E5961176C2&start=0&len=7872&src=&type=x&to=simpsonstephen@
hotmail.com&cc=&bcc=&subject=&body=&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000
0003&a=e8e792c690e5f8d55a91d86ff4516610> simpsonstephen at hotmail.com
Tel: +44 131 651 3637; Mob: +44 7900551883

<http://cognition.icapb.ed.ac.uk/index.php?page=s/3/researchfellows/steve%20
simpson.html> Click for my website; Fax: +44 131 650 6564