[Coral-List] Patents

Abigail Thompson aby05 at plasa.com
Tue Jun 7 05:26:57 EDT 2005

Dear Coral list members

I and my colleagues are very disturbed by these moves to
patent what are obviously common and generic techniques
widely used in may countries, with small variations. Not
just propagation but even simple modes of packing for
transport...

I am not a patent expert and have little idea as to the
geographic spread and legal force of these patents if they
succeed. I would like more information on this point from
anyone with this expertise. I am pretty sure here in
Indonesia any patent will be circumvented, but may be an
excuse for increased bribery & corruption...

However, I very much hope they don't get granted and that
soemone out there can do the necessary to make sure they
don't.

It is like patenting jam-making... something anyone could
do without a patent once they know the principles, then
develop their own "wrinkles"!

Good luck Michael!

Best regards

Abigail