[Coral-List] Assistance with the Coral Reef Image Descriptions on the Marine Photobank

Reuven Walder rwalder at seaweb.org
Thu Jun 16 13:26:22 EDT 2005

Greetings Coral-List,

I ask for your assistance in helping to caption and describe content
for coral images in the Marine Photobank.  The mission of the Photobank
is to provide compelling, high-quality images of the marine environment
royalty-free and for non-commercial use to non-profit organizations,
educators, researchers, media, government agencies and members of the
public.  The Marine Photobank project was transferred to SeaWeb
http://www.seaweb.org/ last fall and I was hired earlier this year to
manage the growth and creative development of the site.

Many of the images we inherited in the Photobank have inaccuracies
and/or a lack of descriptive information, however the images are of
high quality and resolution and simply need better captioning.  This is
evident in the 'Dead/Dying Reefs' gallery (URL is
http://gallery.marinephotobank.org/objects/view.acs?object_id=761).

Neither myself nor the photographer who shot the bulk of these images
are veterans of coral reef ecology as the Coral-list members.  My
expertise is in rocky shore and kelp forest ecosystems on the U.S. west
coast.
Therefore, if you are interested in helping to accurately caption
images as related to the coral systems, I would be most grateful.

I look to experts like you to help with the following caption
information as related to these images:
- Species ID
- Confirmation of diseased, dying, dead  or healthy coral
- interesting ecological notes
- natural or human-related explanations/theories of impacts to coral or
coral reef systems
- issues and impacts that coral reef ecosystems face
- description of, or reference to work to protect and restore coral
systems
- reference to interesting and relevant scientific research

Assistance with a few images can greatly improve our accuracy.
Furthermore, many images are from the same series, thus information
provided for one image can be applied to others.

Please send all corrections to me, with reference to the specific URL
address (web address) for the given image.

Please note that all NEW images submitted to the site are undergoing a
review process to assure accuracy.

I hesitated in alerting the Coral-List about the Marine Photobank on
6/15, since I am in the process of over-hauling the site and database.
However, since there has been frequent mention of uplifted reefs on the
list, I could not resist alerting you to a few relevant images.  Now I
ask for your help in this process.

Clearly our galleries are not comprehensive, thus if you or your
colleagues care to post images about your work, ecological processes,
marine issues etc. for non-commercial use by the marine community, I
would be more than happy to discuss.

Stay posted for a re-launch of the new site in the coming months.  In
the meantime, the current site is fully accessible and you are welcome
to utilize this free resource of images for non-commercial purposes.  I
also invite suggestions on features and functions for our overhaul.
Contact me for an existing list of features and modifications we plan
to implement.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Reuven Walder - M.S.