[Coral-List] Western South Indian Ocean Coral Bleaching Alert

Gang Liu Gang.Liu at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 25 15:51:53 EST 2005

Western South Indian Ocean Coral Bleaching Alert

Since early February 2005, anomalously high sea surface temperatures
(SSTs) have been developing over the western portion of the southern
Indian Ocean. Our satellite bleaching monitoring shows that the
accumulation of the thermal stress is most certainly conducive to coral
bleaching -- 4 DHWs in many locations in the region, including northeast
Madagascar, Mauritius, and Reunion:
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data/hotspote.3.22.2005.gif
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data2/dhwe.3.22.2005.gif

Significant bleaching has already been observed in the northeast coastal
regions of Madagascar, Mauritius, and Reunion. Our satellite monitoring
shows that the thermal stress continues to build in this region. Unless
some environmental (e.g. weather) conditions change in the next few
days, the intensity of the bleaching is likely to increase.

At this time of year, as the warmest ocean temperatures move to the
north, enhanced thermal stress may develop further north to affect coral
reefs in Seychelles and nearby regions.

For more information please visit Coral Reef Watch's Website:
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/index.html

Any feedback you can provide is useful: both bleaching and non-bleaching
observations are welcome. Please send the feedback to Alan Strong
(Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov) and/or Gang Liu (Gang.Liu at noaa.gov). Users are
also encouraged to use the NOAA/ReefBase collaborative online bleaching
report form to send input to our bleaching database. The form is
available at http://www.reefbase.org/input/bleachingreport/index.asp

NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
March 25, 2005

 Gang Liu, Ph.D.