[Coral-List] Uplifted coral reefs

Gregor Hodgson gregorh at reefcheck.org
Mon May 9 18:38:08 EDT 2005

Re: [Coral-List] Uplifted coral reefsHi Folks,

In case you missed the previous posts, photos taken by Dr. Craig Shuman on a
February Reef Check expedition to Simeulue Island, the nearest to the Dec
epicenter show uplift that raised kilometers of coastline.
http://www.reefcheck.org/PDFs/Indoquake.pdf    Other pics are available from
<rcinfo at reefcheck.org>.

For those interested in W. Sumatran reefs, note that earlier surveys there
(late 1990s) showed very low coral cover and this was attributed by local
dive operators and one post-hoc scientific assessment published in a local
journal, to bleaching and a massive algal bloom possibly associated with
forest fires.

Regards,

Greg