[Coral-List] Help Stop the Lyngbya Bloom

Etichscuba at aol.com Etichscuba at aol.com
Sun May 15 01:28:47 EDT 2005

Since  March 2002 Gulf Stream Reef, Boynton Beach, Florida has been plagued
by a  Lyngbya bloom. This reef lies immediately down current from the Delray
Beach  ocean outfall. Other coral reef tracts in the area both up current and
farther  down current have remained free from the Lyngbya  bloom.
The  current NPDES permit for the outfall has no requirement to limit the
amount of  nutrients discharged, nor does the permit require any onsite
monitoring to  assess the impact of the discharge on the surrounding biological
community.
Palm Beach  County Reef Rescue has documented the bloom and generated several
reports  detailing our investigations (PDF versions are available on our web
site).  See what you can do to help by visiting Reef Rescue @:
_http://www.reef-rescue.org_ (http://www.reef-rescue.org)