[Coral-List] Sand Tilefish in the Keys

Andrew_Gude at fws.gov Andrew_Gude at fws.gov
Mon May 16 15:05:14 EDT 2005

Mentioned below:  juvenile coney and sand tilefish den association.
When I dived  the Florida Keys Reef Tract outer reef from 1985 to 1990, I
recall seeing a lot of tilefish and their burrows in the rubble zones.
When I lived in the Keys from 2000 to 2004, I was on the outer reef every
weekend but never saw one tile fish.

Am wondering if this is my perception or has anyone else noted this?

----- Forwarded by Andrew Gude/NWRS/R9/FWS/DOI on 05/16/2005 01:59 PM
-----

"Rick Sanders" <ricksanders at comcast.net>
Sent by: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
05/15/2005 01:41 PM

"Chris Stallings" <stallinc at onid.orst.edu>
cc
coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject
Re: [Coral-List] coney grouper settlement

Chris,

I worked with Patrick Colin at the Caribbean Marine Research Center in the
Exumas, Bahamas studying various groupers including the Coney in 1990.

We found that the newly settled juvenile Coney groupers often were found
in
coral rubble zones and especially among the piles of rubble built by Sand
Tilefish.  These rubble zones were found offshore in the Exuma Sound in
water approximately 25-60 feet in depth.

Patrick Colin would be an excellent resource for you to contact for more
information on Coneys and grouper life history in general.

Unfortunately I have lost touch with Pat but I think that contacting the
Caribbean Marine Research center would lead you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Rick Sanders
President
Deep Blue Solutions, Inc.