[Coral-List] Defying Ocean's End: An Agenda for Action

Arlo Hanlin Hemphill ahemphil at nova.edu
Tue May 17 19:49:36 EDT 2005

DEFYING OCEAN’S END Presents a Global Business Plan for Ocean Conservation

If humankind were given a mandate to do everything in our power to undermine
the earth's functioning, we could hardly do a better job than we have in the
past thirty years on the world's oceans, both by what we are putting into it—
millions of tons of trash and toxic materials—and by what we are taking out of
it—millions of tons of wildlife. Yet only recently have we begun to understand
the scale of those impacts.

DEFYING OCEAN’S END: AN AGENDA FOR ACTION, edited by Linda K. Glover and Sylvia
A. Earle and published by Island Press, is the result of an unprecedented
effort among the world's largest environmental organizations, scientists, the
business community, media, and international governments to address these
marine issues. It sets out a new agenda, one in which we approach marine
conservation differently and at a much larger scale than we have to date.

Chapters address:

* maintaining and restoring ecosystems
* ocean use planning
* economic incentives
* land-ocean interface
* ocean governance
* the unknown ocean

DEFYING OCEAN’S END is a bold step in bringing the resources needed to bear on
this vast problem before it is too late. It offers a broad strategy, a
practical plan with priorities and costs, aimed at mobilizing the forces needed
to bring about a "sea change" of favorable attitudes, actions, and outcomes for
the oceans—and for all of us.

LEARN MORE AT: http://www.islandpress.org/DOE/book.html