[Coral-List] Caribbean Heating Up?

scott.stripling scott.stripling at noaa.gov
Thu May 26 15:25:17 EDT 2005

Frank-

Even further than the reduced upwelling has been an anomalously weak
Gulf Stream
and subsequent western boundary current circulation this past winter,
and in general
terms since last summer, when Frances really put a blocking mechanism on the
Gulf Stream flow. See http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/floridacurrent/

This is partially due to a surface low pressure anomaly across the
western Atlantic
this past winter, and has acted to block the upstream flow into the
Caribbean as well,
affecting the entire Atlantic gyre. There is a huge pool of anomalously
warm water
in the upper layer east through northeast of the  Lesser Antilles that
extends out
into the central Atlantic.

Scott Stripling
NOAA-NWS San Juan