[Coral-List] Reef trampling

Mark Heckman mheckman at waquarium.org
Tue Nov 1 14:06:41 EST 2005

Colby,

I have them in hard copy from the original journals in the mid 90s, but not
pdf if that helps. You can order them online of course if you need a clean pdf.

I used the Liddle and Kay papers for a trampling study I did behind the
Waikiki Aquarium in 94 (unpublished). This area is an algal dominated flat,
similar to many wave washed back reef areas in Hawaii. Almost no fixed
coral growth, only ephemeral fragments and isolated small colonies. Very
different from the habitats described in the Liddle and Kay studies. More
analogous in many respects to the work done on human impacts on temperate
intertidal areas.

I am redoing that Waikiki study currently and am interested if you are
doing trampling work here in Hawaii - or if anyone else is working on human
trampling impacts on algal dominated reef flats that might relate.

Aloha,

Mark Heckman
Waikiki Aquarium/ University of Hawaii-Manoa
(808) 440-9006