[Coral-List] PhD opportunities in holothurian systematics (on coral reefs :-))

Gustav Paulay paulay at flmnh.ufl.edu
Wed Nov 2 06:37:04 EST 2005

Dear All,

Alex Kerr and I have received funding from the National Science Foundation PEET program to train graduate students in the systematics of aspidochirotid holothurians. The grant will support three graduate students (one M.S. and two Ph.D. or three Ph.D. students) at the University of Guam and University of Florida. Students will study field, morphological, and molecular systematics of holothurians, pursue the revision of one clade of aspidochirotids for their dissertation, explore the evolution of that group using phylogenetic techniques, and help with the development of varied resources for holothurian systematics and biology. The project is focused on the families Holothuriidae and Stichopodidae, groups that reach their greatest diversity in the tropics, especially on coral reefs. We are looking for talented applicants interested in pursuing a professional career in invertebrate systematics. Please circulate this announcement widely and encourage prospective students to contact Alex or me. Graduate applications are due in early January at the University of Florida and March at the University of Guam. These positions are open to both US and international applicants.

Cheers,

Gustav Paulay
Florida Museum of Natural History
University of Florida