[Coral-List] Photos of A.mossambica & A.appressa

Sangeeta Mangubhai smangubhai at africaonline.co.ke
Fri Nov 11 03:25:10 EST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

I am working on the taxonomy of Kenyan Acropora species. I am writing to see
if anyone has field and/or skeleton digital photographs of  the following 2
species:

(1) Acropora mossambica described by Bernhard Riegl (1995)*. It is
currently listed as A.retusa in Veron (2000) and as unresolved in Wallace
(1999). I am not interested in images that have been identified as A.retusa
as the apical corallite measurements on my specimens are much larger than
those in A.retusa.

(2) corals identified as A.appressa which was also described as A.sordiensis
in Riegl (1995)*. Again field and skeleton photos are what I am interested
in as I am working through Kenyan samples.

The images are only being used to assist me with my ID work and not for any
publication. It is preferable if the photos are from the Western Indian
Ocean, though if I do not get many responses to my request, I would be
interested in looking at images from other parts of the world.

If you do have images and are happy to send them to me, can you please write
first and let me know what images you have, who did the ID, and where they
are from. Don't send images straight away to me as I want to avoid
inundating my inbox. I have difficulty downloading in Kenya so will need to
ask for the images to be reduced to <500kb before sending.

Thank you,

Sangeeta Mangubhai

*Riegl, B. 1995. Description of four new species in the hard coral genus
Acropora Oken, 1815 (Scleractinia: Astroceniina: Acroporidae) from
south-east Africa. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 113: 229-247.

Sangeeta Mangubhai
P.O. Box 10135
Bamburi 80101
Mombasa