[Coral-List] Water Temperature and coral stress, St. Croix, USVI

Melissa Keyes mekvinga at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 09:13:40 EST 2005

 Hello Listers,

  The sea, and air, have cooled dramatically beginning last week.   The corals' stresses are changing.  A disease that had ceased  spreading on one individual in particular has reappeared or changed,  and the coral will be completely dead soon.

   I will post photos.  My computer has given me some trouble lately, but I haven't lost any photos.

  I'm wondering if the cyanobacteria,   microorganisms, and algaes that attack corals are adversely affected by  high temperauturs.  This coral that I mentioned above seemed to  have White Plague, but now it's attacked by a red growth.

  In the meantime, here is another series, not dated, of damage to a  coral when a fellow swimming over it very gently pushed himself off  with his gloved fist.  The first close-up is three days after the  event, which was several years ago, film, not digital.   I have  newer photos to add.  The coral was snow white and not recovering  the last time I visited, about two weeks ago.  The next time I  post to you this page, it will download much more quickly, as I have  since learned how to 'compress'.  And the ease of viewing will be  much improved.

  http://mekvinga.tripod.com/colpophillia_natans_/

  Cheers,

  Melissa Keyes

  St. Croix, USVI