[Coral-List] info wanted on coral mining sites + remote sensing data images of coral reefs = many thanks

tamir caras thecoralminingproject at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 19:41:23 EDT 2005

Dear readers,

I am about to embark on a project looking at the ecological impact and socio-economics of coral mining.  What’s more - I am proposing to eventually do the monitoring using remote sensing.

Predominantly (at this stage), I am looking for sites where coral mining is taking place or has taken place, particularly if this has been documented in any form.  My prime site is in Southern Tanzania but I suspect Mozambique would have similar problem(?), I hear Sri Lanka, Maldives, Indonesia and the Philippines have different forms of this practice.

If any of you comes across coral mining or can offer any insight into this tradition, potential sites or anything at all, could you please let me know?

Additionally (being greedy) if anyone has any satellite or airborne images relevant to effected areas - I would be much indebted.

If anyone out there has valuable information on either subjects, could you please make contact to me through this list or directly at thecoralminingproject at yahoo.com Many thanks for your attention

Tamir

n.b. if Jewish – happy new year