[Coral-List] Helicostoma sp. culturing

Richard A. Snyder rsnyder at uwf.edu
Tue Sep 6 21:27:28 EDT 2005

Dear Shashank:

If the organism is feeding on Symbodinium in places where it is
found, then a rice grain+ seawater will not likely work.  That method
is OK for messy cultures of bacterivores.  You need to get a culture
of the Symbodinium or related dino, culture it, wash the algal medium
away (filtration or centrifugation) to remove the ammonium.  Use aged
open ocean seawater (best), 0.2 mm filtered.  If you don't have aged
seawater, get the cleanest ocean water you can find.  Let it sit for
a month in a 50 L or larger carboy if you can, longer is better,
don't disturb the sediment in the bottom.  Filter or autoclave the
water.  Add F/2 concentrate for dino culture.  Reverse bubbling in
separatory  funnels with a grow light works well.  Instant ocean may
work but kills some protists.  Try isolating individual cells of the
ciliate by micropipette into suspensions of washed dinos.  12 well
tissue culture plates work well since you can start multiple clonal
cultures in the same plate, keep track of them under a stereo
scope,and add more dinos and resuspend sedimented dinos as necessary.
You may contact me with questions if you think I can help.

Good luck.

Dick

>Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Helicostoma sp.  culturing.... (shashank Keshavmurthy)

>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 04:40:46 -0700 (PDT)
>From: shashank Keshavmurthy <iamshanky15 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: [Coral-List] Helicostoma sp.  culturing....
>To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
>
>Dear All,
>Does anyone know how ciliate Helicostoma sp. can
>be cultured in lab??? i mean what media is
>used....
>I was wondering using a sea water media with
>grain of rice in it...
>any suggestions is welcome....
>thanks
>
>Shashank
>
>"the role of infinitely small in nature is infinitely large"-Louis
>Pasteur
>
>Keshavmurthy Shashank
>phD candidate
>Kochi University, Graduate School of Kuroshio Science
>Laboratory of Environmental Conservation
>Otsu 200, Monobe, Nankoku-shi
>783-8502, Kochi, Japan
>alt. id: shashank at cc.kochi-u.ac.jp
>phone: 81 090 8285 9012

>End of Coral-List Digest, Vol 26, Issue 16

Richard A. Snyder, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Center for Environmental Diagnostics and Bioremediation (CEDB)
Biology Department
         http://www.uwf.edu/rsnyder/
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway                                (850)  474-2806
Pensacola, FL  32514                                    FAX:          -3130