[Coral-List] Bleaching and White Plague-II

EWeil eweil at caribe.net
Mon Sep 12 09:51:57 EDT 2005

We are observing ans monitoring similar bleaching conditions in the shallow reef areas (above 12 m) off La Parguera, southwest coast of PR to what E. Hernandez reported for the eatern PR. Most large colonies of Montastraea faveolata,  M. annularis, Colpophyllia natans, Diploria strigosa and D. labyrinthyformis, Dendrogyra cylindrus, Undaria agaricites, Leptoseris cucullata, Agaricia lamarcki, Porites porites, P. furcata, P. divaricata, SIderastrea siderea are the most affected within the hard corals. Millepora spp. Erythropodium caribbaeorum, Palythoa caribbaeorum, and many plexaurid octocorals, are also  bleached. Deep reefs at the shelf edge and deep areas of coastal reefs are not showing bleaching signd yet. However, at the shelf edge (20 m) we have started to see a significant number of colonies (M. faveolata, D. labyrinthiformis, D. strigosa, and C. natans) with signs of white plague type II.

Saludos!

EW

Dr. Ernesto Weil
Department of Marine Sciences