[Coral-List] Present Bleaching Event - PR & USVI etc.

Kristen Hoss kristenhoss at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 11:28:36 EDT 2005

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ever studied the correlation of coral bleaching episodes as possible indicators of what hurricane activity may be like during the year?  I was wondering if there was a connection that could be used as a prediction tool, or if the correlation would just be related to the already known water temperatures and weather patterns, etc....

-Kristen Hoss
Marine Researcher
and Wildlife Biologist-USDA/APHIS/WS

"scott.stripling" <scott.stripling at noaa.gov> wrote:
With the NE Caribbean currently located underneath an elongated area of
low pressure,
light and variable winds will continue to dominate the region for the
next 1 to 2 weeks.
Computer models are forecasting only brief (6-12 hour periods) of anything
approaching normal trade wind flow during this time. Thus the stagnant
mixing conditions will
persist regionally through the first week of October, at the least.

Scott Stripling
NOAA/NWS San Juan