[Coral-List] Present Bleaching Event - PR & USVI etc.

Gary K. Ostrander gko at hawaii.edu
Fri Sep 23 16:18:25 EDT 2005

Kristen,

The following paper may be of some interest at the "physical disturbance"
was a hurricane.  We did not see anything around the bleaching event we
reported to suggest any indicators.  The bleaching event and hurricane were
two years apart.  Significantly, this was the first major bleaching event in
the area and the first major hurricane in many years. Thus, there did not
appear to be a causal relationship.

Ostrander, G.K., Armstrong, K.M., Knobbe, E.T., Gerace, D., Scully, E.P.
2000.  Rapid transition in the structure of a coral reef community: the
effects of coral bleaching and physical disturbance.  Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences, USA.  97:5297-5302.

GKO

Gary K. Ostrander  Ph.D.
Vice Chancellor for Research
     and Graduate Education