[Coral-List] Bleaching Prediction - Boynton Bch., FL

Etichscuba at aol.com Etichscuba at aol.com
Mon Sep 26 10:27:19 EDT 2005

Bleaching Prediction - Boynton Bch., FL

Meandrina meandrites colonies located on Gulf Stream Reef (26 31 00 N, 80 02
00 W) Boynton Beach, Florida have been observed to bleach and recover on a
predictable annual cycle. A five year investigation performed from 2000 to 2004
has documented this occurrence. The annual onset of bleaching within days
following the autumnal equinox suggest this phenomenon may be triggered by day
length.

Dives conducted in the investigation area on Sept. 24, 2005 found no evidence
of bleaching Meandrina colonies (or other corals). The earliest Meandrina
bleaching reported in this area is Oct. 2.

The next investigation dive is scheduled for Oct. 1, 2005.  I will report
back to let you know if bleaching is detected.

If you would like to learn more about this phenomenon visit the website I
have setup @:
http://hometown.aol.com/etichscuba/
or feel free to contact me.

Ed Tichenor, Director