[Coral-List] White Plague in Martinique

ommm ommm at wanadoo.fr
Tue Apr 18 14:00:11 EDT 2006

Hi,

We dived in January with Judith Lang and Ken Marks (from AGRRA) to test a
new protocol for rapid assessment of recent mortality after the 2005
bleaching event. Using this protocol, mortality was about 18% in Martinique,
which was low compared to USVI and Puerto Rico. At this time we had no
disease. We recently returned to our permanent transect and we have been
very surprised to see a lot of dead colonies, especially Montastrea genus.
Northern Caribbean was already experiencing white plague problems in January
while we were not. Our question is: have you noticed white plague recently
in the islands between BVI and Martinique? Is it a south spread of the
disease?
All comments are appreciated.

Jean-Philippe

Dr Jean-Philippe Maréchal
Director
Observatoire du Milieu Marin Martiniquais
7 avenue Condorcet
97 200 Fort de France
Martinique - France
ommm at wanadoo.fr