[Coral-List] Coral-List Digest, Vol 34, Issue 20

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Sat Apr 29 14:00:55 EDT 2006

A brief note in clarification of Todd Barber's comment below. While I
am delighted to see his use of ecologically-sound water quality
standards for coral reef protection from eutrophication, these values
should not be attributed to me, but to Brian Lapointe, Peter Bell,
Mark Littler, and Diane Littler.

In addition, their pioneering work on the nutrient levels marking the
transition between coral-dominated and algae-dominated systems was
not cited in our paper on Corals and Coral Reefs, which Todd Barber
refers to below, as that paper was written several decades BEFORE
quantitative work was done to establish the eutrophication limits of
coral reefs. I have cited their original work in several later papers
on watershed and coastal zone management. stating that for our corals
to thrive we need to keep our waters clear of sewage and agricultural
nutrients by insisting that land-based human sources of nutrients be
recycled on land.

it is very important to credit the original literature, something
that has become extremely rare since so many nowadays cite only
second, third, or fourth hand references. In these the original work
is usually ignored or distorted beyond recognition. No wonder
students reading recent reviews are confused, and don't seem to
recognize that we have always known that coral reefs are extremely
fragile and increasingly vulnerable ecosystems, because the history
of the field has been falsified by pouring old wine into new bottles,
and peddling them as the latest fad vintage!

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President
Global Coral Reef Alliance
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge MA 02139